It is hard to believe there are only 8 days until Election Day. I, for one, have been looking forward to this day for nearly four years. Here are 8 ways you can volunteer to help defeat Donald Trump and save our Democracy.
UPDATE: After the Senate’s shameful power grab to pack the Supreme Court 8 days before voting ends, I’ve added ideas to help flip the Senate.
There are 8 days until it’s over and I’m sharing 8 ways to get involved. Do a different thing every day or pick your favorite activity and repeat it a few times. The important thing is to commit to do at least one thing every day through November 3. Do everything you possibly can so you can wake up November 4 knowing you gave it your all.
- Volunteer with VoteRiders. Millions of Americans could be blocked from the ballot because they lack an acceptable ID. This year, voting is more complicated and confusing than ever. It’s essential to reach eligible voters now and help them secure the ID they need before it’s too late. There are a number of opportunities to help voters make sure they have the right ID to vote, including phone calls and sending texts.
- Help “cure” ballots. Mail-in ballots are rejected for a variety of reasons but many states allow an opportunity to “cure” or fix the problem. Common Cause Election Protection volunteers can reach out to voters to let them know that their mail-in ballot might need “curing”, and then walk them through that process. (If you’ve volunteered and haven’t heard yet, fill out this form.)
- Be a poll observer. Protect voting rights by serving as a poll observer during in person voting on November 3.
- Donate to Fair Fight 2020. The 2020 election will carry historic consequences. But foreign interference and sophisticated voter suppression threatens our ability to freely elect our leaders. Fair Fight 2020 is building voter protection teams with Democratic state parties or local allies across the country to protect the right to vote. They are boots on the ground fighting to protect every vote.
Donate to Get Mitch or Die Trying. The Get Mitch fund splits money among the most flippable Senate seats. We can win, and money right now is useful to get out Democratic voters.
- Call voters to help get out the vote. Join Swing Left volunteers from across the country to make calls into strategic, high-priority states on Thursday and Sunday. Every Call Night will start with a live Zoom phone bank training, and a team of support specialists will be ready to answer any voter contact questions you have. If you need inspiration to join a phone bank, look no further than this video of Mandy Patinkin. He is so darling.
- Join a text bank. In just a couple hours, you can reach out to literally hundreds of potential voters. It is SO EASY to connect with voters right where they are – on their phones. There are literally hundreds of phone and text banks daily – find the time that works for you.
- Drop literature. Get your steps in while educating neighbors about candidates and important issues.
- Reach out to a Trump voter. This is not easy, but you may be the only person who has the ability to truly connect and talk to someone about their vote for Trump. Be prepared, be genuine, be vulnerable. Explain why a vote for Trump is harmful to you and the country you love, listen to why they support him, build on any common ground you can find. Protect your heart, and hopefully you won’t regret making an honest effort.
- Bonus: Send pizza to the polls. This is the perfect feel-good Election Day distraction! You donate $20, Pizza to the Polls delivers pizza to an election center where long lines have been reported.
Additional things you can do right now to help defeat Trump and flip the Senate.
- Talk to your friends about the importance of voting. This Instagram post has tips to help.
- If you have not voted yet, please Make a Plan to Vote!
- Once you have a plan or after you have voted, share on social media using our Instagram Story My Voting Plan template.